DEARBORN RECREATIONSUMMER SOFTBALLCOED RULES
1. The batting order for coed softball has to alternate the sexes. Teams may start the game with the following numbers of players, with the noted conditions: Starting with 9 players -- If a team elects to start the game with 9 players, the 10th spot in the batting order will be an automatic out. The batting order will otherwise alternate the sexes. If a 10th player arrives after the game has started, he/she must bat 10th and may enter the game immediately. A team starting with 9 players will only be allowed to use 3 outfielders and must adhere to defensive alignment rules. Starting with 10, 12, 14, etc. players -- If a team does not start the game with 9 players, they must have an even number of players in their batting order and the batting order must alternate the sexes. Teams may start with as many players in their batting order as desired, but should one of those players become unable to continue the game due to injury, his/her spot will become an automatic out in the batting order if a sub is not available.
2. The same ball will be hit by men and women.
3. SOFTBALL 12” 44 core
4. Coed defensive positioning always shall include two males and two females in the infield, two males and two females in the outfield, and one male and one female in the pitcher - catcher positions. If a team elects to play with nine, their three outfielders must include at least one male and one female.
6. On any walk to a male batter (intentional or not), he will be awarded first and second bases. The female batter behind him has the option of walking or hitting. NOTE: A male batter - runner advancing to second without touching first base shall be called out if properly appealed.
7. Pitching distance is 50' and the distance between bases is 70’.
8. Metal spikes ARE NOT ALLOWED.
9. Players are allowed to run to the backstop (to the right of home plate) when scoring. Home plate does not have to be touched to score a run.
10. If a player does touch home plate, he will be considered safe.
11. A defensive player has an option to tag the runner or touch home plate.
12. A player may not slide at home plate, but may slide at any of the other bases or across the home plate extension. If a runner slides at home plate, he will be called out.
13. A line will be placed halfway between home and 3rd base, perpendicular to the foul line. Once a player passes this line he/she must continue to home. If a player passes the halfway line and then returns to 3rd base, he/she will be called out.
14. If a player runs into a defensive player who has contact with home plate, he is out. If he runs into the defensive player in a flagrant manner, he will be ejected from the game.
15. The mercy rule will be 10 runs after 5 innings (4 ½ if the home team is ahead). The travesty rule will be 20 runs after 3 innings (2 ½ if the home team is ahead).
16. Teams are permitted to sign up 20 players.
17. Except where indicated above, the USSSA Slow-Pitch Coed Softball rules for 2012 will apply.
18. THE RECREATION DEPARTMENT RECOMMENDS PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT FOR THE HEAD, GROIN AND LEGS FOR PITCHERS IN ALL OF OUR SOFTBALL LEAGUES.
Sports Office: 313-943-2355
Weather/Schedule Line: 313-943-2350 (press 1, then press 4, then press 1 for the Weather Line)
Service Desk: 313-943-2350 (press 1 for options, then press 0 for immediate service)
Jamie Timiney Ayman MustafaSports Supervisor Officials Assignor
Michael Shooshanian Adult Softball Coordinator
FORD COMMUNITY AND PERFORMING ARTS CENTER | 15801 MICHIGAN AVE., DEARBORN, MI 48126 |P: 313.943.2350.
THE CENTER IS OPEN MONDAY-FRIDAY FROM 5:30 A.M. - 10 P.M., SATURDAY FROM 8 A.M. - 8 P.M. & SUNDAY FROM 9 A.M. TO 6 P.M.
THE BUSINESS HOURS FOR THE RECREATION AND PARKS DEPARTMENT SERVICE DESK ARE MONDAY - FRIDAY FROM 8 A.M. to 6 P.M.